[Smt-talk] Aesthetics of Computer-Generated Music

Martin Braun nombraun at telia.com
Fri Apr 22 05:24:44 PDT 2011

Michael Morse asked:

"In other words, does it in fact tell us something useful about teaching
skiing, cattle rustling, or symphonic conducting to know that learning the
skill occurs in one sector as opposed to another?"

No, it does not. If the question is which of two training methods is the
better one, conventional test will be more specific and much less expensive
than brain imaging studies.

Neuroscience of music is dealing with plenty of other things. Many are only
weakly related to the common subjects of this list. But there are some
exceptions:

For two of the following four phenomena there are today physiologically
based functional models.

Octave circularity
Fifth similarity
Translation invariance of intervals
Preference of 5-limit harmonicity in scales

In philosophy it is today common to examine concepts like "conscience",
"self", and "free will" using data from neurophysiology.

This would suggest that one day also the field of music theory will discuss
issues around its central concepts of "tonicality" and "modality" using data
from neurophysiology.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music