[Smt-talk] Russian/Belgian +6

Michael Luxner mluxner at mail.millikin.edu
Thu Dec 1 09:11:34 PST 2011

I've taught this chord (A-flat/C/E/F#) for years as a "Russian" sixth, because it figures prominently in the section on augmented sixths in Rimsky-Korsakov's harmony manual (standard English edition, Schirmer 1930).

Rimsky presents this chord as a major-key version of what we would call the German sixth.  I.e., he identifies the standard +6 chords in minor keys as the familiar trio of Italian/French/German (though he does not use the geographic descriptors); but in major keys, replaces the German with the version that has an augmented fifth above the bass (the diatonic 3rd scale step in a major key).

My use of the term "Russian sixth" has always been whimsical, but it's nice to know that there's some scholarly justification!

Michael Luxner
Millikin University