[Smt-talk] Reading for Master's Students

JAY RAHN jayrahn at rogers.com
Thu Dec 1 14:33:05 PST 2011

My musicology/ethnomusicology students have found Aldrich's article on Renaissance music, Palisca's account of Burmeister's account of Lassus, Quantz's passage on concertos, and E.T.A. Hoffmann's review of Beethoven's Fifth helpful introductions to historical topics in musical analysis that they often have not encountered in their undergrad programs. As well, Nettl's chapter on transcription and analysis serves as a useful introduction to analytical issues in comparative musicology. Also highly recommended is Goodman's account of scores in Languages of Art. Among 'classic essays they should know' is the chapter on music in Bregman's Auditory Scene Analysis (but at ~75 pp. it may be too long for a hard-copy anthology). If they are eventually going to each counterpoint and harmony, David Huron's article on voice leading provides a good introduction to cognitive concerns (though, again, a bit long at ~60 pp.).

Jay Rahn, York University