[Smt-talk] Sight singing: real-time pitch evaluation software?

Patrick Tuck patrick.tuck at ucumberlands.edu
Fri Dec 30 09:48:04 PST 2011

Dear list,

I have used Smartmusic in studio lessons, clinics, and workshops for years and was among the first certified retail sales representatives in Canada for its predecessor - Vivace (back when I did such things for a living). Smartmusic is unique in its abilities to listen to and assess performance and to allow the professor to check its work.

Students can submit not just grades - but also the accompanying mp3 recordings! When I demonstrate the software to my classes, Smartmusic still on occasion misses the odd voice pitch through the internal mic on my Mac. The accompanying recording allows the professor to check its work and adjust grades accordingly. I have found Smartmusic to be no more than one note off per exercise. Most of the time it is bang on! The other plus to the recording is that student A is much less likely to do the work of students B,C, and D as the professor should recognize the voice on the recording. Training students to use the software is aided by the fact that applied music faculty may already be using it.

The educator version also comes with a grade book feature that I have not yet used. I am told that you can create a variety of assessments on this grade book, not just Smartmusic.

Best,

pt

Patrick Tuck, PhD
Assistant Professor of Music