[Smt-talk] music theory quotations

Timothy Cutler tsc10 at case.edu
Sun Jan 23 09:36:46 PST 2011

I'm interested in collecting quotations in which composers or famous
performers extol the virtues of theory and analysis,
such as Schumann's "Do not be frightened by words like Theory, Thoroughbass,
Counterpoint, etc. They can be your friends
if you approach them in a friendly manner" and an interview with Murray
Perahia: "I was able, also, to study analysis, to study
counterpoint and harmony....And you get a perspective of what music is about
that is more important than actually playing the
instrument."

(The former is from "Musical Rules at Home and in Life," and the latter was
taken from a *Fresh Air* interview.)

I'd also enjoy seeing examples of the opposite--composers and performers
expressing how much they detest theory and analysis.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Thanks very much,

Dr. Tim Cutler
Professor of Music Theory