[Smt-talk] prolongation

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Sun Jul 17 11:54:42 PDT 2011

Nicolas,

Are we really going to play the game of a close reading of Schenker? (I played the game once, in an MTO article entitled “The Bridges that Never Were.”)

Surely the statement “there are no other tonal spaces than those of 1–3, 3–5, and 5–8,” which of course cannot be taken literally (due to such “tonal spaces” as 2-1-7, 4-3-2, etc.), essentially equates “tonal space” with “diatonic system.” That Schenker (apparently) wants us to believe that his Urlinie is conceptually prior to the diatonic system is one of his many conceits.

Eytan Agmon

Bar-Ilan University