[Smt-talk] Classical metric fakeouts

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Sun Mar 27 13:42:36 PDT 2011

Dear List,

What interesting questions!

My preference would be for a conductor to lead only whichever "beats"
the music expresses -- thereby preserving such a possible initial
surprise. I particularly like the Beethoven Corilolanus opening for
sounding like its own Introduction -- until it isn't! The "Allegro
con brio" beats (or any others) needn't be conducted until they are
needed.

Just as an Intro might return before subsequent Development and Recap
parts -- maybe even to begin a Coda -- so do the returns of the MT of
the Coriolanus suggest returns of an Intro. Even though we have heard
fast beats galore, the returns still needn't also be conducted fast.

Even if a conductor does beat fast throughout (or if we simply see
the tempo labeled in the concert program!), we still get to
experience the mismatch between that supposed tempo and what we are
hearing. (Perhaps that's what really long notes are about.) And, of
course, the Coriolanus offers its own share of metric surprises --
expansions, contractions, etc -- the climax of which has to be the
return to the slow tempo for depicting Coriolanus's death at the end
(but it doesn't hold a candle to the metric death-throes in the
Eroica!)

Speaking of the Eroica, the conductor Benjamin Zander has pointed out
that the written tempo of the second movement (whether "Adagio assai"
or "8th=80") perhaps should give way to a more truly funeral-march
beat, around MM 20 -- that is, each two-bar hypermeasure expressing
the step and pause of such a march. In later episodes of the
movement, the quarter and eighth beats may become relevant -- but
perhaps not for the opening or for the metrically-amazing closing.

Best regards,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky
Faculty, Department of Music Theory