[Smt-talk] Classical metric fakeouts

Fiona McAlpine fe.mcalpine at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Mar 27 23:43:54 PDT 2011

Dear All,
This goes rather earlier than anyone has suggested, but what about the C# minor fugue from Book 1 of the WTC, which suggests a standard alla breve minim beat of a fairly boring organ kind at the beginning, only to break out in crotchets & quavers later with the two countersubjects/other subjects, as if to say 'this is what I really meant'?
(Dr) Fiona McAlpine
Honorary Research Fellow
School of Music
University of Auckland