[Smt-talk] Classical metric fakeouts

Guerin, William Brian wguerin at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 28 10:06:22 PDT 2011

I'm not sure this is exactly the same effect, but hemiola effects at
the beginning of a piece can create a deceptive sense of primary metric
level (and therefore tempo); I hear the opening of Schumann's Rhenish
symphony as 3 bars of 3/4 instead of 6 bars.  (There is a similar
although somewhat weaker effect at bar 3ff. of Brahms 3 as well.)

Not what you were after, but a puzzling metric fakeout (albeit one of a
different sort-- a 'lateral' one) occurs at bar 4ff. of Act I of Tosca,
where the downbeat is displaced by one eighth-note-- yet in practice,
at tempo, it's nearly impossible for me to hear it as syncopated.  But
other clues in the score (such as the placement of marked accents)
suggest to me that it's indeed notated correctly.

William Guerin
Ph.D. Cand. in Music Theory, Indiana University
Editor, Indiana Theory Review

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Stephen Taylor