[Smt-talk] BELGIAN +6

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 17:48:29 PST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

again, I would like to add a voice from the past to this discussion. It is interesting that neither German, nor French theorists of the past ever used national chord names for the chords with the augmented sixth. My question is whether they were and still are not on the level,  behind, backward,out of the context of contemporary tonal theory, or, au contraire, they have their own understanding of the issue. In addition, I have to say that neither Rimsky-Korsakov, nor Tchaikovsky, nor Scriabine, nor Rachmaninoff, ever applied these terms. The question is Why?

For all the great composers and musicians of the 19th century, the chords with the augmented sixth had very important meaning. They all were the modifications of the simpler chords and, together with them, they belonged to the Subdominant function. I do not want to respond to the earlier arrogant remark about "vulgar Riemannism" here because I think that it is inarppropriate to associate anything vulgar with one of the most advanced German theorists of the most advanced period of German culture.

There is no such thing as French augmented sixth chord. This metaphor is misleading. It is the augmented Supertonic 3/4. There is no German augmented sixth chord either. It is either the doubly augmented Supertonic  4/3  or augmented Subdominant 6/5. By giving these chords special names you are only confusing your students and taking their attention away from structural significance of these chords. And, there is not such thing as Predominant. On the one hand, Tonic, and not only Subdominant, may precede and prepare the Dominant. On the other, there is such independent and self-standing entity as Subdominant.

There is no such thing as French augmented sixth chord on lower scale step two. This is a chord from a different function: the Dominant. It can be called the Dominant 4/3 with lowered fifth, or simply, a tritone substitution of the Dominant seventh chord. The chord mentioned in this discussion is not Belgian. It is the half-diminished seventh, a part of the Dominant group, more precisely, a part of the double Dominant. This terminological precision translates into hearing abilities of the students.

The enthusiasm for innovation is commendable. The lack of enthusiasm for hearing the voice of theoretical tradition is not. In any case, the rationale for giving these strange and impertinent names must be reflected upon before introducing them in the classroom.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com