[Smt-talk] function of aug. 6 chords

Dave Headlam dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 30 14:59:01 PST 2011

Hi -- it might be useful to point out that these issues are actually
considered at length in the pedagogical and research literature:  see, for
instance, Steve Laitz's "The Complete Musician" (2nd ed. Chapter 12 on the
predominant function where Steve thoroughly shows the actual Function of the
chord -- i.e., whether it functions to harmonize an additional note in the
structural melodic line, whether it is part of a sequence, whether it is
more harmonic or melodic in function etc., -- this defining of the function
in multiple contexts is important!  and in later chapters the chromaticisms
are added step by step, with similar criteria given) as well as Betsy
Marvin/Jane Clendinning¹s text, Theory and Analysis ( where they treat all
augmented sixth chords together with the Neapolitan Sixth in a single
chapter (29) on chromatic predominant chords, followed by a large chapter on
chr modulation where they consider the questions of harmonic/VL function
thoroughly) and, for an overview of chromatic and diatonic elements in tonal
music, see

The Diatonic and the Chromatic in Schenker's "Theory of Harmonic Relations"
Matthew Brown.  Journal of Music Theory , Vol. 30, No. 1 (Spring, 1986), pp.
1-33
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/843407

Here Brown shows how a fully chromatic version of tonality is derived from
motion within the tonic triad. The distinction between mixture (the (b)6 in
the aug 6th)- derived and tonicization/modulation - derived chromaticism
(the #4)  is particularly germane.  See also Howard Cinnamon's dissertation
(1984, ³Third-Relations as Structural Elements in Book II of Liszt¹s Années
de Pèlerinage and Three Later Works ) for an expanded discussion of mixture
in the 19th c. (primary, secondary, and tertiary!)  and distinctions among
chromaticisms from mixture / tonicization-modulation.

Dave Headlam

p.s Vasili - great little piece! Thanks for pointing it out.  The
chromaticism and minor / major substitutions throughout are fascinating --
the "Italian 6th" however is (IMHO) just a passing tone -- [ play I-V6
vi-"iii6" (or I 6/4 var V) -ii6-V6/5 - V in major, then i-v6  VI-III6 ii6/5
- ii4/3 (passing Fr6 or It) - V in minor and you'll see it' s not a
substitution but a modal recasting], but look at the next bit - m. 71 ( in
v:)  N6-vii/V-V6/4-5/3 -i   with the Eb-E !  (that Eb business starts in m.
27, also D# m. 29, also see the preceding Allegro movement, mm. 152-53) --
I'll leave it to those better versed than I in such things, except to note
this article

http://www.mozartforum.com/Lore/article.php?id=166

which contains some interesting interpretations of the circumstances in the
writing of this piece -- if true, IMO, the rather extravagant chromaticisms
and generally flamboyant piano figuration here might have come from the
"improvisational" nature of the piano part

--

Dave Headlam
Professor of Music Theory
dheadlam at esm.rochester.edu