[Smt-talk] "Neighboring" 6/4 Chords

Guerin, William Brian wguerin at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 2 05:45:42 PDT 2011

Dear Matt,

I wonder if the issue has more to do with the rarity of upper-neighbor motions in the bass than the question of how V4/3 is most typically used.
That is to say, V4/3 may more often be used with passing bass motions simply because those bass motions are more common when prolonging a tonic.

Writers of our usual harmony textbooks do seem to gloss over the "neighboring V6/4" possibility, but I'd suspect the answer has to do with the fact that, in most cases where you'd want to use V6/4, some other chord is a better choice.
V4/3 is, in fact, a viable option (I believe Laitz gives it, at least), as are viio6 and viio6/5.  All of these chords avoid the unresolved dissonant fourth (^5) against the bass tied into the second tonic.

And it seems to me that oftentimes, what really "counts" isn't the neighboring figure in the bass, but rather a neighbor figure in some other voice (say, the soprano) in which choosing some other bass motion (such as by skip to V5/3) provides a better sonority and better VL results.

And more generally, the I-V6/4-I situation seems awfully static from a compositional perspective:
Using a PT ^1-^2-^3 or consonant skip ^1-^5-^1 in the bass, or some kind of voice exchange, allows *something* significant to happen while the NN in the upper voice plays out -- either a melodic motion or a strong harmonic gesture.
Similarly, with the other choices for the middle sonority (esp. V4/3 and viio6/5) you get a resolution of a dissonance in the inner voices (or at least the promise of one, even if it needs to be denied for VL reasons.)
I-V6/4-I just doesn't seem to accomplish very much.

These are the type of things i'd tell a trusting class of undergraduates, but I'll admit I've thought little about whether these factors have any historical basis.

--Bill

William Guerin
Ph.D. Cand. in Music Theory, Indiana University
Editor, Indiana Theory Review
wguerin at indiana.edu