[Smt-talk] Music and Philosophy Interest Group -- 2 events at SMT 2011

Brian Kane brian.kane at yale.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:30:30 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

The Music and Philosophy Interest Group is proud to present two events
at SMT 2011 in Minneapolis.

Friday, October 28, 5-7 PM: Business Meeting

At our business meeting we'll be discussing Veit Erlmann's new book,
Reason and Resonance, in particular the chapters on Descartes and
Helmholtz (Chapters 1 and 6). We'll hear two position papers: Ben
Steege (SUNY Stonybrook), "'Reasonating': reflections on Veit
Erlmann's historiography of aurality" and Amy Cimini (Penn),
""Resonance, Friendship and Descartes' Musical Secret". If you want to
read some relevant excerpts from Erlmann's book, email me off list for
a pdf.

Friday, October 28, 8-11 PM: Special Evening Session: "The Voice:
medium or mediation?"

We've sponsored an exciting panel on the voice, with papers ranging
from the Baroque to contemporary film theory. Here's the lineup:

André Redwood (Yale University), "Beyond Mechanics: Voice as Mediator
in the Harmonie Universelle"
Jonathan De Souza (University of Chicago), "Rousseau, Stiegler, and
the Technical Mediation of Voice"
Christopher M. Barry (University of Wisconsin-Madison), "A Cinematics
of the Lyric Song-Subject"
Clara Latham (New York University),"Rethinking the Intimacy of Voice
and Ear: Intimacy, Affect, and Pleasure in the Discourse of Hysteria"

Please direct any questions about these events, or any other Music and
Philosophy Interest Group business, to brian.kane at yale.edu.

See you Minneapolis,
Brian Kane

Brian Kane