[Smt-talk] Female theorists in history

Isaacson, Eric J isaacso at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 16 07:09:04 PDT 2011

Wow, is this response insulting, both politically and intellectually. A major aim of at least part of our research enterprise is bringing the obscure and forgotten to light and reassessing it in a contemporary context. To suggest that gender might be an inappropriate criterion for a search topic is bizarre. And to pre-suppose the outcome of the student's conclusions strikes me as terribly bigoted.

Eric J. Isaacson
Treasurer, Society for Music Theory
Associate Professor of Music Theory (isaacso at indiana.edu<mailto:isaacso at indiana.edu>,  812-855-0296)
Director of Graduate Studies (musicdgs at indiana.edu<mailto:musicdgs at indiana.edu>,  812-855-1738)
Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
(Sent from my iPad)