[Smt-talk] More "Neighboring" 6/4

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 17:55:19 PDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

it is amazing how the issue of 6/4 keeps coming back into our discussion. I remember that it was not an issue in Russia where I studied harmony and voice leading. I can only make a guess that in North America the basic instrument (the one the majority of students can relate to) is guitar, and not piano. On a guitar, due to tuning by forth (at least  of first two lower strings) the forth between the bass and the next voice sounds reasonable.  Everybody is used to this sound. Perhaps that is why all my students can write a 6/4 instead of root position triad and not feel any remourse for commiting this crime. And the question of why the 6/4 cannot serve as a neighbour chord I can relate to this same issue. In fact, the 6/4 is not a neighbor chord and cannot serve this function. If you allow it to be placed between two tonic triads in root position, the next question would be why not to use it freely as a substitute for a root position triad? Both cases
 depend of your perception of this chord as a dissonant sonority, unusable as an independent member of tonal-functional structure.

Perhaps, this is the reflection of the fact that a chord cannot be designated as neighbor or passing. A note can. The voice exchange, in which the 6/4 sonority is commonly used, does not make it a passing chord. It simply erases its functionality and destroys its integrity. Yet, the 6/4 in this situation cannot be identified as passing. The same applies to the cadential 6/4. The latter is not a double suspension to dominant triad. There is a confusion in terminology. I suggest simply not to use the term chord in relation to these sonorities.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com