[Smt-talk] Female theorists in history

kos at panix.com kos at panix.com
Sun Oct 16 20:21:18 PDT 2011

Those who know the history of Schenkerian Analysis in the United States will
be keenly aware of the extremely derogatory comments by musicologists such as
Paul Henry Lang, which was then followed by years of deliberate silence on
the part of musicologists (described by Ernst Oster in a 1961 JMT article).

So too, it could be that more intensive examination of the history of music
theory will not only recognize more female music theorists, but might also
contribute to a greater understanding of why certain theories or theorists
dominated their times to the exclusion of other theorists - including women.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users