[Smt-talk] Female theorists in history

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Oct 17 03:35:52 PDT 2011

The name of Adele Katz has been mentioned before.

Paul Henry Lang's derogatory comments of 1946 explicitly were directed
against her /Challenge to Musical Tradition/ of 1945, but his only
specific criticism points at her 1935 /MQ/ paper ("Heinrich Schenker's
method of analysis"), which itself was based on Schenker's
/Erläuterungen/ (/Tonwille/ 9 & 10 and /Meisterwerk/ I & II), at a time
when /Der freie Satz/ was not yet available.

Even in /Challenge to Musical Tradition/, it is not obvious that Adele
Katz had read /Der freie Satz/; at least,she does not appear to have
assimilated the idea of the /Ursatz/ and /Urlinie/ in their canonic form
(descending line above a single arpeggiation). On the other hand, her
book includes several terms and concepts that reappear in Salzer's
/Structural Hearing/ (such as harmonic /vs/ contrapuntal, or structural
/vs/ prolongation chords).

David Carson Berry's paper in Current Musicology 2002 (which I only
cursorily reread just now) does discuss some of this, specifically Katz'
and Salzer's reciprocal indebtedness, but I think that some more work
may be useful, confronting Adele Katz' works and their theoretical
foundation with /Erläuterungen/, /freie Satz/,/Structural Hearing/, etc.
I, at least, would very much like to read such a study.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne