[Smt-talk] vocal sonata forms

clemens kemme ckemme at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 17 05:06:38 PDT 2011

Dear Deborah Burton, Nicole Biamonte, and list,

Thank you for your reaction, Deborah. But I did't mean Idomeneo is almost
completely Type 2. I have found:
- 6 numbers of Type 1 (no development section): Nos. 1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 13,
(The Overture is also Type 1, aborted though)
- 5 of Type 2 ('Scarlatti sonata'): Nos. 4, 21, 27a, 29a, 31, (No. 8 March
is also Type 2)
- 5 of Type 3 ('textbook sonata' incl. development): Nos. 10a, 12, 19, 22,
30a (Allegretto 'Trio' as 'devel.').

Osmin's first aria in Entführung is indeed Type 2, followed by a coda in
which Mozart famously lets him lose his temper/key ('but not too far away',
Mozart wrote to his father). A great example of the dramatic power (and
maybe origin) of 'sonata form' and of unexpected deviations!

Thank you, Nicole, for mentioning an article I didn't know yet, that seems
to make exactly the same point.

>From other reactions, and also from what I often meet in Europe, it seems
that not too many theorists are aware of this. Could that have to do with
music theory's long history of focussing almost exclusively on instrumental
music, and on first movements? See labels like 'first-movement form', a term
that would have amazed Mozart, who composed most of his second movements and
so many of his vocal pieces in this form as well. Any reactions?

Clemens Kemme
Conservatorium van Amsterdam

Van: Deborah Burton <burtond at bu.edu>
Beantwoorden - Aan: <burtond at bu.edu>
Datum: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:16:43 -0400
Aan: clemens kemme <ckemme at xs4all.nl>
Onderwerp: Re: [Smt-talk] vocal sonata forms

   I second Clemens that Idomeneo is almost completely Type 2 sonata forms
(HD), as is Osmin's first aria in Entführung.

 Deborah Burton
 Boston University
 burtond at bu.edu