[Smt-talk] Dylexia and music theory/aural skills

nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com nancygarniez at tonalrefraction.com
Mon Oct 17 09:52:06 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone:
I find this discussion extraordinary as it goes into greater and greater depth -- i.e., reference to individual experience of ear / solfege issues. I joined the SMT because of the Disability interest group and was especially moved to read a draft of Joseph Straus' work on "Normal Hearing," (subsequently become a chapter in his most recent book "Extraordinary Measures." At issue is the conformity that underlies so much music training. Why should all musicians hear the same way or have equal commitment to a visual system, or an alphabetic system, or any system that seems to belie the immensely fascinating and compelling auditory world of their imagination?

It is the reason I never pursued formal graduate study in music and the reason I teach children music at the piano in a way that respects the integrity of their individual experience of sound. It is the rationale behind my alternate notation system, Tonal Refraction, which arouses awareness of the variances between spatial concepts of standard notation and the spatial aspects of resonance, which can be extremely confusing, especially to highly gifted individuals none of us should be discouraging from taking themselves seriously as musical individuals potentially with a great deal to offer, though not necessarily within what I consider to be the overly restrictive parameters of formal music theory studies.

Nancy Garniez

http://nancygarniez.blogspot.com
www.tonalrefraction.com