[Smt-talk] Pieces with improvisatory openings

kos at panix.com kos at panix.com
Sun Oct 23 07:22:23 PDT 2011

> I'm interested in studying the emergence of tempo from the perspective of the
> listener. One viable case study for this phenomenon is the class of pieces
> that begin with short, improvisatory passages that precede more temporally
> patterned movements proper...Do you know of other tonal examples like these?

Beethoven: Piano Concerto no. 5, op. 73, "Emperor"
Beethoven: Choral Fantasy, op. 80
Brahms:  Double Concerto, op. 103

I have a strong suspicion that this phenomenon stems from a recitative-aria
format (the recitative generally having the feeling of overiding the notated
tempo with speech patterns).  Of course, there are many hundred of arias that
begin with such recitatives.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users