[Smt-talk] Pieces with improvisatory openings

donnadoyle donnadoyle at att.net
Sun Oct 23 08:04:52 PDT 2011

Dear Mitch,

You might consider the Haydn Creation opening (plus, its extra-musical
implications).

Also, the Pathetique Sonata, Chopin's C#m Etude, Op 25.

If you're interested in tracing this phenomenon's historical origins,
a consideration would be recit/aria, which, for me, some later exx
(esp 19th c) seem to imitate.

Best regards,
Donna Doyle
Queens College, CUNY