[Smt-talk] Pieces with improvisatory openings

gzar at mail2.gis.net gzar at mail2.gis.net
Wed Oct 26 07:46:40 PDT 2011

Dear List:

Let me suggest the opening (and closing?!) of the Beethoven Coriolan
Overture, as I did for the previous discussion mentioned. (Apologies
if it already has been mentioned; I have not been able to follow the
discussion as well, aside from its "fake-out" slow-tempo beginning
(long durations notated already within the movement's overall fast
tempo). This time, I notice that the huge contrast between the long
durations and subsequent abrupt cut-offs (and also-long rests)
perhaps inhibits feeling any sense of meter, Adagio or Allegro
(unless the conductor unfortunately is beating quarters or even
halves -- or anything at all).-- followed by equally-"anti-metric"
bursts of fast figures, that lead to music with a clearer fast-beat,
but accented without clarifying a meter. That latter process breaks
off and restarts, but now with the movement's opening tonality
becoming less clear. Perhaps only as the M.T. ends (and becomes
transformed into the Expo's Transition) do we feel that a
quasi-improvisational texture, beat, meter, and key finally has given
way to a "composed" movement...

Sincerely,

Gerry

Gerald Zaritzky