[Smt-talk] Pieces with improvisatory openings

JAY RAHN jayrahn at rogers.com
Wed Oct 26 08:59:47 PDT 2011

Arnie Cox considers the possibility that '"improvisatory" passages are distinguished not merely as patterns of sounds but as patterns of either imagined or performed actions.  One might want to say *of course* this is the case, but I'm not sure to what extent this is reflected in the vocabulary and rhetoric of our discipline.'

In general, I would characterize relationships between an acoustical event (stimulus) and a perceptual/cognitive event (response) via a 'heard-as' predicate: e.g., onset-pair x and y is heard as time-intervallically the same as onset-pair y and z. Correspondingly, onset-pair x and y might be heard as having been realized as time-intervallically the same as onset-pai'r y and z, or x and y might be 'felt' (i.e., as in an act of 'performing along with') as time-intervallically the same as y and z, and so forth.

In a behavioural account, imagining can be considered perceiving in the absence of an otherwise perceivable thing: e.g., I might imagine the Eiffel Tower or the opening of Mozart's 41st without being in Paris or in a concert hall etc.

Jay Rahn, York University