[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Manigirdas at cs.com Manigirdas at cs.com
Sun Sep 11 21:52:44 PDT 2011

Musical intervals with the notes sounding together are actually very rapid
rhythns of sound waves. For example, the 5th can be represented as follows.
The distance between two marks represents the duration of each sound wave of
the fundamental partial of a note. The times involved are on the order of
1/200 of a second:

---------------------
|     |  |  |      |   (combined rhythm of the waves of the two notes)

We can see that the sound waves of these two notes are related in the
rhythm of 2 against 3.

Similarly, the 4th has the rhythm of 3 against 4:

---------------------------
|     | |   |   | |     |   (combined)

The octave has the rhythm of 1 against 2.

-------------------
|       |       |  (combined)

And so on.

Chords are also rhythms. For example the waves of a major triad in second
inversion look like this:
|           |           |           |           |           |    (top note
e)
|              |              |              |              |    (middle
note c)
|                   |                   |                   |    (bass note
g)
|           |  |    |   |     |     |    |    |  |            |   (combined)

This is the rhythm of 3 against 4 against 5.

Of course, the sound waves will not necessarily be neatly in phase as in
the diagrams. If they are shifted relative to each other, the rhythms formed
will be somewhat more complex.

These rhythms are too rapid to be discerned by the ear as rhythms, but they
are there nevertheless. They repeat continuously while the notes are
sounding.

Since each interval and chord has an unique rhythm, it may be speculated
that each rhythm contributes to a different emotion.

Manigirdas Motekaitis
Piano teacher
714 W. 30th St.
Chicago, IL 60616-3005