[Smt-talk] Data collection for a research project on Schenkerian analysis

Phillip Kirlin pkirlin at cs.umass.edu
Mon Sep 26 16:05:47 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am studying statistical regularities that appear in Schenkerian
analyses; that is, the things people tend to do in an analysis versus
things they tend not to do.  To find these patterns, I use a computer
program to tabulate statistics from a corpus of existing Schenkerian
analyses.  This research has already produced some interesting results
(see postscript below).

But to do better, I need many more analyses.  I am only using analyses
of short excerpts of music that have a complete manifestation of the
Ursatz (at a local level, of course), possibly with an interruption.
For instance, I am using many examples from Forte & Gilbert's textbook,
chapters 7-12, where there are lots of excerpts of 8-20 measures in
length with a complete Ursatz.

Though I am scouring other textbooks and music theory publications, I am
also reaching out to people on this list who may have analyses in their
possession that they are willing to contribute to this project.  I
suspect there are Schenker instructors out there who have done analyses
as handouts for their classes, or as homework solutions, or who just
have a large collection of photocopied analyses from other sources.
These would be extremely helpful to me, and will not be shared with
anyone else without your permission.  That being said, I would like to
make as much of the data as I can available to others, and I plan on
releasing as much of the corpus as possible in a manner so that other
researchers may access it.

If you have existing graphical analyses of this format (short excerpt of
music, complete Ursatz) that you are willing to share, please contact me
off-list at pkirlin at cs.umass.edu.  I will gladly send you SASEs or FedEx
envelopes so that you may mail things to me (or I'll reimburse you for
any postage).  Scanned images or PDFs are appreciated as well.  It
doesn't matter if you have one analysis to contribute or 100; I will
gladly accept them all.

Many thanks,

Phil Kirlin
University of Massachusetts Amherst
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~pkirlin

P.S.: Current results can be found in my paper that will be presented in
October at ISMIR in Miami:

   http://www.cs.umass.edu/~pkirlin/papers/kirlin11probabilistic.pdf

Existing analyses in a computer-readable format can be found at

   http://www.cs.umass.edu/~pkirlin/schenker