[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Sep 15 03:49:33 PDT 2011

Joseph, are you sure that a siren turning so slowly as to produce a
frequency below, say, 15Hz, would produce a "rhythm"? Or, more
generally, that infrasounds are rhythms? And that a scraped idiophone,
if scraped fast enough, would produce a single sound of low frequency? I
do very much doubt both hypotheses.
     A rhythm is made up of successive sounds within the auditory range
(a rhythm does not exist without sounds), not of waves below the
auditory limit. The idea that diminishing sound frequencies would become
rhythms seem to me analogous to considering that increasing frequency
eventually produces light.

I fail to see in what sense difference tones (and hardly see in what
sense interferences) have rhythmic analogues: can you be more specific
about that?

Yours
Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne