[Smt-talk] Structure of intervals

Eve Poudrier eve_poudrier at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 16 08:12:37 PDT 2011

Joseph,

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "metric accents that accrue to the shared attack between two cycles of
differing cardinality" (see paragraph below)? To my knowledge, the question as to whether metrically accented events are actually perceived as being physically stronger is still open. In fact, recent experiments suggest that they are not (see B.H. Repp (2010), "Do metrical accents create illusory phenomenal accents" in Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 72, 1390-1403).

Ève Poudrier
Assistant Professor of Music Theory, Yale University