[Smt-talk] Smart Board

Paul Lombardi lombardi at unm.edu
Fri Sep 23 10:24:35 PDT 2011

Dear Steve,

My department does not have any SmartBoards, but I used them while
teaching summer school at another institution. I asked SmartTech if they
had plans to make an iPad driver, and they did not respond. I read on a
forum that SmartTech probably considers Apple to be a threat.

You can buy an adapter and software to connect an iPad to a projector.
It is common for classrooms to already have projectors.

iPad, $300
adapter, $30
software, $10

vs.

SmartBoard, $8,000

Furthermore, last year I read that the technology to project an iPad
wirelessly would be coming in less than a year. I haven't looked to see
if it's available now.

Best,

Paul Lombardi, Ph.D.
Lecturer III