[Smt-talk] Simplifying theory books--comment

Zae Munn zmunn at comcast.net
Thu Apr 26 06:34:02 PDT 2012

In my diatonic harmony class this semester, I am trying this: I
provide my students with a less-than-one-page summary of a Kostka and
Payne chapter, I present briefly (usually in C or a) and then we go
right to the K and P workbook for applications, musical contexts, and
thinking of the material in different keys. So they will end up with
maybe a dozen pages of "text" and most of their work will be contained
in the workbook. They are not required to own the textbook itself.

I have personally learned lots from the K and P textbook, esp. the
detailed examples of standard and exceptional uses. But, in my
experience, students are less and less able to process written words
in relation to musical examples, esp. when keys change from example to
example. The result is that they usually gloss over them and hope I
will tell them what they really need to know in class.  The summaries
I have given them are really what I used to end up telling them
anyways after struggling to help them process the assigned text. This
way they have it, in writing, at the outset, and it's simple and clear
enough that I can really insist that they know that material well.

Best, Zae Munn
Saint Mary's College

www.zaemunn.com