[Smt-talk] THEORY TEXTBOOKS

Stephen Jablonsky jablonsky at optimum.net
Thu Apr 26 07:07:06 PDT 2012

Kyle,

Thanks for you reply. In terms of #3, I am reminded that for many years we used Franz Mittler's Music for Everybody. It had 96 pages and had nice arrangements of everything from Clementine to Rachmaninov's Prelude in G minor. We used it for Theory 1 and 2 and it served us well. It is now out of print.

The problem with a 900 page book is that students in Theory 1 are carrying around their textbook for Theory 2 and Theory 3 far in advance of their need to use it.

On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Kyle adams wrote:

> 3. One of Stephen's proposed solutions--the analysis of complete scores rather than small excerpts--seems rather to increase, rather than decrease, the overall number of pages a student would be required to carry around. This might literally reduce the size of the theory text itself, but in terms of giving students less material to carry around (one of his implied goals), it wouldn't really solve anything.

Prof. Stephen Jablonsky, Ph.D.
Music Department Chair
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue S-72