[Smt-talk] THEORY TEXTBOOKS

Joel Galand galandj at fiu.edu
Thu Apr 26 07:46:36 PDT 2012

Well, one difference is that today's theory text books are no longer harmony manuals (like the Russian examples cited below) or brief summaries of strict counterpoint (like Haydn's ELEMENTARBUCH).  They try to serve the purposes of several courses at once--four or  more semesters of harmony, some counterpoint (e.g., the latest edition of Aldwell and Schachter now includes species), form and analysis, perhaps a few Schenkerian concepts and graphic examples, and even, in some cases, an introduction to post-tonal theory.  Texts like A & S's or Laitz's also aim at providing compendia of very specific idioms--conventional outer-voice patterns, voice exchange patterns, etc.  There is no way that a student could complete, for example, the Workbook exercises that go with chapter 32 (Chromatic Voice-Leading) of A & S without having in some way internalized over a dozen or so parallel and contrary-motion chromatic voice-leading patterns, or at least being very good at pattern matching (recognizing which examples in the text most resemble the problem at hand).  In a way, these modern-day textbooks look not so much to harmony manuals but do more encyclopedic  texts like Reicha's Cours de composition musicale.

I hope that my students are exposed to many more idioms and repertoire than I can possibly cover in a couple of sessions a week, and that is why I tend to favor the more comprehensive texts on offer.  I realize that many students won't bother with the readings and will do the best they can by (sometimes) attending class and perhaps downloading some of the streamlined summaries I provide on Blackboard, or Moodle, or whatever the latest web-assisted environment our technology services provides.  That's okay too.   How many of us read everything in every course? (I never did finish Aristotle's Politics in my sophomore political theory class.)

Joel Galand

Associate Professor of Music Theory
Associate Director for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies
School of Music
Florida International University