[Smt-talk] open access theory materials (forked from THEORY TEXTBOOKS)

Slottow, Stephen Stephen.Slottow at unt.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:54:01 PDT 2012

My favorite text (A&S) introduces paradigms, explains how they work (and often their background), and illustrates their use with characteristic musical examples. Then the student can, hopefully, learn to use and recognize these paradigms in writing and analysis. I find this an effective way to learn. I routinely have students in graduate classes that never learned, for instance, that vii6 can act as a passing chord between I and I6 (or have never heard of a passing chord at all), a topic covered early in A&S, or of the idiom I-IV6-I6. Once having learned the patterns, one recognizes them. This approach can't be implemented in only a few pages. However, I have also found that I do need to present a one-page outline of essential points. But the reason the outline works is that it summarizes and refers to the more extensive treatment which we've gone over in class and which they will need to know to do the homework. I think that both work together and that both are necessary. And one obvious practical advantage of a good text, such as A&S, is that I can, to a great extent, use their examples and explanations, of course augmenting them with my own. But I don't have come up with every example and every exercise from scratch, which I appreciate.

Stephen Slottow
Associate Professor of Music
College of Music
University of North Texas