[Smt-talk] basic orthography question

J. Michele Edwards edwards at macalester.edu
Fri Aug 17 12:07:10 PDT 2012

I am preparing a figure for a publication in which I give a series of
harmonies (nonfunctional harmonic relationships) as follows:
D7  – G6 – D – C  – G  –   –  b  –   –  Bb  –   –  A  –   – f#6

Then I wish to reference the pitchclass C.  I seem to remember that people
use the curly brackets {C} to indicate this, but I don't find that used in
any materials I have at hand. Can someone confirm/reject this usage or
offer a better (but simple) way to distinguish a pitch from a chord in this
context?

Thanks for helping a conductor-musicologist!  Michele

--
J. Michele Edwards
conductor and musicologist
edwards at macalester.edu
Professor emerita of music, Macalester College, St. Paul, MN 55105