[Smt-talk] Schenker public domain?

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sat Dec 1 14:36:50 PST 2012

Heinrich Schenker died in 1935, almost 78 years ago. This, unless I am
mistaken, places his writings in the public domain in all world
countries. Some of his major works are available free on Internet
(mainly on http://archive.org): /Ein Beitrag zur
Ornamentik/,///Harmonielehere/, /Kontrapunkt/ vols. 1 and 2, and
/Beethovens neunte Symphonie.

//Free Composition /is out of print since a long time and /Der freie
Satz/ remains under copyright in its second edition because of Oswald
Jonas' editorial work. I wonder, however, why the first edition of /Der
freie Satz/ has not been made available on Internet. This book is
extremely rare in Europe (one copy is in the catalogue of the Bavarian
State Library, where it appeared only recently; this is the only copy I
have been able to locate in Europe), while it does not seem uncommon in
the United States.

I wonder why it has not been made available on archive.org or in some
other similar project. Does anyone know if the book really is public
domain now? If not, why? And if it is, why has it not been made available?

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne

<http://archive.org/details/beethovensneunte00sche>