[Smt-talk] Schenker public domain?

Jurkowski, Edward jurkowski at uleth.ca
Sat Dec 1 19:51:08 PST 2012

In the United States (and presumably Canada), his published works in the public domain are those *originally* published before 1923.  That excludes all translations (which were first published after 1923).

Unless US copyright law is amended, it allows for 95 years of protection from the date of first publication (for those works published in 1923 or later).

So the original publication of Der freie Satz will go into the public domain in 2031.  Oster's translation will go into the public domain in 2075.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-TALK ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users

Bob,

Canadian copyright law protects works for the life of the creator plus 50 years.  My understanding is that the "1923 rule" does not apply in Canada.

Best.

Ed

Edward Jurkowski
University of Lethbridge