[Smt-talk] Wikipedia's Music Theory Problem (Or Music Theory's Wikipedia Problem)

Laurel Parsons laureljparsons at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:27:03 PST 2012

Dear Devin,

Thank you for your excellent explanation of Wikidifficulties from an
insider's perspective.  However, I do take issue with the idea that as
music theorists, it is "our duty to correct those errors."  While I applaud
those who do make an effort to raise the level of Wikipedia music theory
discussions, I do not think it is fair to add the correction of errors on
Wikipedia or any other internet music theory site to the overlong list of
professional duties most music theorists already have, especially when, as
you point out, someone who is not a professional can come along and undo or
delete those corrections within seconds.  If people want to spend their
time that way, then that's terrific, but let's not make it one more thing
we "should" do.

Students also need to learn not to depend on Wikipedia (except insofar as
lists of references that can refer them to more reliable resources), and
then only after consulting their instructors, textbooks, and other
resources their instructor recommends.  Convincing them of this is easier
said than done, I know, but music theory questions aside, developing a
healthy skepticism towards internet sites is an important life skill these
days anyway.

Best,
Laurel Parsons

Laurel Parsons, Ph.D.
Independent Scholar
Chair, SMT Committee on the Status of Women
North Vancouver, BC
laureljparsons at gmail.com