[Smt-talk] Half cadences

Samarotto, Frank fsamarot at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:11:14 PST 2012

Dear Caleb,

Thank you—terrific reference. You beat the earliest reference I know of by 4 years.

CHoWMuT, pp. 448-49 mentions the cadence attendente in La Voye Mignot (1656). My thanks to Steve Grazzini for finding the original; the treatise is available through IMSLP; see the bottom of p. 76 (in the original numbering). Steve adds that, "He defines it as the situation where, instead of completing a cadence parfaite -- which was the cadence to the unison or octave, usually with a bass that falls by fifth or rises by fourth -- one "remains on the penultimate note." This is quite similar to the Matthaei Caleb cites. While cognizant of terminological problems, I would assert that "stopping on the penultimate: is functionally the same as a half–cadence.

Thanks again,

Frank

Frank Samarotto
Associate Professor of Music Theory