[Smt-talk] Advice concerning analytical approaches to recitative

Mark Janello mjanello at jhu.edu
Tue Dec 11 20:14:50 PST 2012

On a panel I was on at the SMT meeting in 2011 there was a paper

Galant Recitative Schemas, by Matthew Boyle and Paul Sherrill, Indiana University

which I found very interesting.  It looked at a number of settings of the same text by different composers as well as characterizing different musical moves into schematic categories.  It was well thought-out and quite convincing, I thought.

I don't know if it's been published.

Mark Janello
Dept. of Theory
Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University