[Smt-talk] Time-point series for Babbitt, "All Set"?

Anton Vishio ajvishio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:55:37 PST 2012

Hello Kevin,

you might want to have a look at the first part of David Lewin's 1995 Music
Theory Spectrum article, "Generalized Interval Systems for Babbitt's Lists,
and for Schoenberg's String Trio"; parts 1 and 2 of the article lay out
some formal preliminaries involving binary state arithmetic and how his
transformational machinery models it, and parts 3 and 4 look at examples
from Babbitt's music, in particular two complete circuits of his digital
articulation series in All Set and some related formal plans in the earlier
Composition for Four Instruments and the much later song cycle The Head of
the Bed, citing related literature.

I don't have my score handy but if Zack doesn't know what the bass drum is
doing in bars 25-32 I probably don't either.  Years ago a then-undergrad
student of mine at Washington University with a background in computer
science wrote a nice paper for a class I taught exploring some ideas about
other operations on rhythmic 'bits' that Babbitt might have been using in
various sections of the piece - ideas that seemed potentially fruitful.
 Unfortunately, that paper is stored in some box on the other side of the
country at the moment, but it suggests there might be more to uncover
concerning Babbitt's rhythmic techniques in the work.

Best,
Anton

Anton Vishio
University of San Francisco (part-time)