[Smt-talk] Harmonic Functions

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Tue Feb 14 05:50:48 PST 2012

Dear Bruce,

That was very informative - thank you! I only have two things to add.

Regarding the terms parallel versus relative, I must tell you that in Europe most countries use "parallel" for what you refer to as "relative". It is just like the term "phrase" as you understand it and as some other theoretical schools (including Schoenberg's) understand it: we simply put a different content, and it has stuck in this manner. Nobody is wrong, we simply must take this into account when we write papers and deliver lectures abroad.

As for the letters or Roman numerals. I am in favor of a great simplicity - as great as it can become. For me, terms such as TRm or SMSM are visually too complicated and unattractive, and I can bet they will not be in circulation in most musical circles. In addition, these functions refer not to the tonal center, but to some other local centers, something that I do not agree with.

I have ideas about expressing all the chromatic chords (mostly triads) in an extended tonality. I will use only Roman numerals. As for the SMSM, for example the chord F# in C major, I explain it as a chord borrowed from the Locrian mode (in C Locrian, the purely diatonic triad on flat 5 will be Gb). Its minor version (F#m) I explain as a variant of flat V (or sharp IV if you will - it does not matter) While some theorists (perhaps Shoenberg too) prefer a path that is based on extended tertian relationship between chords, i.e evry chord has its mediants, etc.

In his Structural functions of Harmony, Schoenberg in my view starts very simply, and then piles up harmonic labels to the point of anybody's confusion. It is not hard to understand what he means; it is hard to keep it constantly in mind and to use it on a daily basis.

Thank you  for now, but I hope we will continue to extend ideas!

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music