[Smt-talk] Uncommon six-four chords

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Tue Feb 7 07:57:02 PST 2012

Even although I can understand a desire to consider the harmony without
the voice leading, I think that the limit is reached when ^7 is dubbed
"the leading-tone" (and vii° "the leading-tone triad"), while this tone
does not lead to the tonic. In the case of IV--vii°6/4--IV, it seems
unavoidable that the voice leading includes ^6--^7--^6. (It might be
possible to hear ^6--^7--^8, but that probably would be an inadequate
hearing.)

This raises the question whether a chord including ^7 can be considered
a dominant when this tone does not resolve on the tonic -- or, in other
terms, whether the attraction (and the accompanying tension) exists
without being resolved, whether tonality involves expectations even in
the absence of realization. In my opinion, attraction and tension are
retrospective: one realizes that they existed when resolved (and, in the
absence of resolution, that they were not there, at least in the
habitual sense).

A neighboring 6/4 decorating a subdominant is merely that, in my
opinion, a neighboring decoration, an effect of voice-leading. Note that
in m. 11 of "La Paix", the true ^7, the major 3rd of the V chord, does
not resolve as a leading tone either: the progression is IV -- I -- V --
ii -- vi, a "reverse" progression, in which tonal functions are suspended.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne