[Smt-talk] Perfect pitch and aging

Michael Luxner mluxner at mail.millikin.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:39:31 PST 2012

I had not heard this and find it fascinating.  If David or others have no objection, I wouldn't mind the responses being addressed "to all."

Michael Luxner
Millikin University

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message along with any included attachments may contain information that is confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee,) you may not use, copy, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation.

>>> "Huron, David" <huron.1 at osu.edu> 2/7/2012 12:17 PM >>>
It's well-known that people with perfect pitch experience an
upward pitch-shift with age.  Typically, by around 55 years of age
a C sounds like a C#, and by 65 a C tends to sound like a D.

I wonder if this is a universal experience or whether there are
people with perfect pitch -- older than 60 -- who have NOT experienced
an upward pitch shift.

I'd appreciate people writing to me to convey their experiences regarding
age and AP.  I'll post a summary if I receive enough responses.

Thanks,
David Huron
huron.1 at osu.edu

David Huron
Arts and Humanities Distinguished Professor
School of Music & Center for Cognitive Science
Ohio State University