[Smt-talk] Perfect pitch and aging

Candace Brower candacebrower at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:32:29 PST 2012

In discussing this issue with other aging AP-possessors, I have never come across anyone who did not experience this. I first noticed it happening to me when I was in my late 40's.  I found it difficult to follow a score when listening to a recording because every note sounded "wrong."  Sometimes I could persuade my ear to shift downward (kind of like flipping a Necker cube or the vase-two-faces illusion), but often the revision wouldn't "stick."

Interestingly, my absolute pitch has reverted to near-normal over the past few years.  One thing that has changed is that I have gone back to playing the cello several hours a day. I hadn't played for over twenty years, and when I first took it up again, I found it challenging to play in tune.  But my absolute pitch now seems to be as reliable as when I was in my 20s (I am now 58). Perhaps my ear has retrained itself as a result of having to actively seek the right pitch in order to play in tune?  During my years away from the cello, I played the piano several hours a day, but that never seemed to help.

Candace Brower
retired, Northwestern University