[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Wed Feb 8 20:51:10 PST 2012

Dear Dimitar,

Perhaps the 4-2 tradition is based on comfort rather than logic, i.
e., we like to say/see two figured bass numbers for each 7th chord
inversion; or, since a 4th with the bass is usually dissonant, we like
to be reminded that in this case it's a chord member.
The 4's presence also enables us (and might remind students) to show
voice leading into the next chord:  4      -   6  ,
rather than bare-bones verticalities  (V 2  -  I
6
       -   3

Best,
Donna Doyle