[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Thu Feb 9 07:00:24 PST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for this communication. It is good to know how things have "stuck" historically and to respect other approaches. Summarizing these replies I wanted to add:

1. Stephen, thank you very much - I completely agree with you. Of course, the inversion of 7 is 2, and that makes it easy for the student to understand that if 7 is used alone, so must 2.

2. I also respect Dona's point ,if some people insist on showing the dissonance from the bass.

3. Nicholas' explanation of some contemporary French symbols was a revelation. Nicholas, I read and understand French, although my communication is bad; however, I am interested to learn as much as I can how today's French musicians teach harmony. Could you posibly recommend to me a book of harmony that is used today in the conservatoire or in the Sorbonne, or a couple of books, if you use different ones?

4. I guess we, as teachers with an open mind, shall give our students a choice in this regard, and in many other aspects of harmony, as long as they know the logic behind it. I would not understand an instructor who will take points off if a student uses either "2" or "4/2"! This will be called "thinking in a box", and we do not want to convey such thinking to anyone.

My approach to this small issue is this. I explain to the students how the abbreviated derivation is created and then I give them a choice- if they have been used very much to "4-2", they continue to use it and to say it in analysis. Some others readily switch to "2" because they think it saves time in both writing and pronouncing. Still others, who come from abroad, usually use "2".

With best wishes,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music