[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Michele Ignelzi m.ignelzi at tin.it
Thu Feb 9 09:46:06 PST 2012

Dear Nicolas,

In Italy, the French labeling you mention is sporadically taught, and
at least one local treatise (if I remember correctly, I don't have
the book at hand), Guido Farina, _Trattato d'armonia teorico-
pratico_, uses it.

Greetings,
Michele

On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Nicolas Meeùs wrote:

> The French tradition, that of the Paris Conservatoire, is to write
> +4 in this case, the + meaning that the 4 is the leading tone
> (similarly, one would write +6 in second inversion). This
> tradition, which is not mine and against which I am trying to fight
> in Paris, has several drawbacks, one of them being that the French
> use labels that hardly anyone else understands.

Michele Ignelzi
m.ignelzi at tin.it
Conservatorio Statale di Musica, Florence, Italy