[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Philip Duker pduker at udel.edu
Thu Feb 9 10:00:45 PST 2012

As a historical note, you can find examples of both (i.e. "4/2" or just
"2") in continuo parts, and composers were not consistent in their use.  In
the first line of Purcell's "Stript of their Green" you'll find "4/2" in m.
2 followed by just "2" in m. 4, both times to indicate a "6/4/2" chord.
Here's a link to the score if you're interested (scroll down to the bottom
for the score published in the first edition of *Orpheus Brittanicus*):

http://artsongcentral.com/2009/purcell-stript-of-their-green/

Also, in CPE Bach's *Versuch* you find him classifying these as "The Chord
of the Second," (pg. 252 in the Mitchell translation) and he says that it
can be figured a number of ways including "2" or 4/2" but also just "4+" or
"4 [natural sign]."  While many modern editions tend to standardize
figures, continuo players "back in the day" read things that were a little
more chaotic (not to mention dealing with visual alignment issues as the
Purcell score shows).

Pedagogically I think it makes sense to point out both practices in case
they would encounter such music, even if you want to require the students
to write things in a particular way in your classes.

Cheers,
Phil

.

.