[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Julian Hook juhook at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:59:18 PST 2012

Ildar Khannanov's post, in which he contrasts "six-five chord" with "Quintsextakkord" and so on, raises another interesting question, not about which figured-bass numbers should be written but about the order in which they should be read.

I first learned basic music theory not from a class or a teacher, but from some very sporadic self-study during my years as a mathematician. In mathematics quite commonly a symbol is adorned by both a subscript and a superscript, and in that situation mathematicians generally read the subscript first. For instance, if the letter A has a subscript x and a superscript y, this would typically be pronounced "A-x-y," not "A-y-x". (A reasonably familiar example is the notation for a definite integral. An integral sign looks like an elongated S. An integral sign followed by a subscript a and superscript b is "the integral from a to b," not "from b to a"--and indeed, a is typically a smaller number than b in that situation, so only one ordering makes sense. And there are a number of other similar notations in more or less common use.)

Anyway, some years later, when I began keeping the company of music theorists, I was a bit surprised to learn that (for example) the chord that I was mentally pronouncing "five-five-six" was called "five-six-five" by everyone else. I've long gotten used to it, of course, and had nearly forgotten it until now.

David Lewin introduces a visually similar notation when he defines inversion in a Generalized Interval System (Generalized Musical Intervals and Transformations, page 50). Lewin writes the letter I with a subscript u and superscript v. It's clear that Lewin thinks of this from bottom to top as "I-u-v," not "I-v-u," not only because of the alphabetical ordering but also because he explicitly calls it "u/v inversion." Unfortunately, other scholars who adopt Lewin's notation, their habits perhaps shaped by a lifetime of reading "five-six-five," sometimes seem to be thinking of it from top to bottom, which does run a risk of some confusion. (I-u-v is the same operation as I-v-u in many cases, but not in all cases.)

Julian Hook
Associate Professor of Music Theory
Indiana University
juhook at indiana.edu