[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Ciro Scotto ciro.scotto7 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 17:26:53 PST 2012

Hi,

Actually, the cadential 6/4 is indicated by the label V6-5/4-3 (of course, with the figured bass symbols properly aligned), not V6-4 or V6/4. The former label clearly indicates the 6 and 4 are either suspensions or accented passing tones that displace two notes of a root position V chord. A dominant chord in second inversion is, as you stated, indicated by V6/4. The unique labeling of each function avoids confusion.

All the best,

Ciro

On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Ninov, Dimitar N wrote:

> 6) In the light of the above arguments, labeling the cadential six-four as V6-4 could not be more confusing. The only genuine V6-4 chord in tonal music is the second inversion of the dominant triad. Some theorists use this label to designate two different sonorities (V6/4, on the one hand, and the cadential 6/4 on the other) without even being aware of that, and by doing this they keep confusing their students. This is why sometimes students ask: which is the real V6/4? My only answers to this question is: the second inversion of the dominant triad.

Dr. Ciro G. Scotto
Assistant Professor of Theory
University of South Florida
home:    (813) 443-6801