[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun Feb 12 14:10:26 PST 2012

Dimitar,

On this point, my position is quite simple, albeit quite radical: I do
not know what the meaning, or the function, or whatever, of a chord is
if I do not know the chord that follows (or, less often, that precedes).
I do not believe in attractions (e.g. of the leading tone) or other
obligato movements (e. g. of a descending 7th), unless they happened. I
do not know the meaning of C and E above G unless I know what follows. I
cannot identify a tonic if it is not preceded by some sort or dominant
(or subdominant), nor a dominant if it is not followed by some sort of
tonic.

I am not sure to understand your 9-8 over a second inversion tonic. Do
you mean, say, G-D-E, with D resolving on C (i.e. G6/5-4)? This, to me,
in an ornamented G-C-E, about which I still know nothing without knowing
what follows (or what precedes).

For too many of our students (not to mention ourselves), figuring chords
boils down to labeling them, without any attempt to understand their
function in the harmonic progression. In the end, they (we) produce a
series of chords, each of them wearing its own label, without any
consideration for the meaning of the series as such. Music should not be
heard as a mere succession of independent chords: it is how chords
depend from each other that count; and harmonic figuring may (and
should) help developing that hearing.

I do believe that a 6/4 chord whose bass is V should be labeled V6/4 if
it goes to V5/3, whether or not it is adorned with appoggiaturas or
other neighbor notes -- and this, to me, means that a _cadential_ V6/4
should be labeled as such: how would it be cadential otherwise? I do
agree that it probably should _not_ be labelled V6/4 if it does not go
to V5/3. I am not really interested by the interval on the bass: a
cadential 6/4 can be "inverted" without loosing its function (see my
recent exchange with Rick Cohn, and Eric Wen's comment).

Yours,

Nicolas

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne